Well, not any more. Plenty of snow in Rhode Island today.
We had one of those days that kids dream about. Today was a day when snow was expected, and lots of it.
Everyone stressed last night...what to do? What has to get done "In Case It Snows"?! That sort of anticipation and worry cracks me up because, I mean, it IS New England, right? We are supposed to expect snow in December. But people still freak out and get all crazy. Never fails. So last night, the kids are talking about if they will cancel school today, and all of that. Now, the prediction was for 5-9" of snow, starting this afternoon. Not really the kind of thing they cancel school for, just in case. I'm thinking that I really need some gas in the van, and I am not running out now. I did, however, continue to kick myself for not getting earlier in the day. Then I realize that we need some food and if the snow is heavy and the roads are bad, I won't be able to do the groceries as I'd planned; they'll have to be done in the morning, instead. Err.
In the last few years we have gotten tons of predictions of snow, but they usually don't really happen or they happen another day, something like that. Well, today was a day of wonder in terms of weather forecast accuracy. Well done, meteorologist.
I checked the news this morning, but (surprise, surprise) there were no cancellations. I expected as much, but I was hoping that they'd announce an early dismissal contingency plan or something. No such luck. So we go about our morning, and I explain to the kids that just because the weather guy said is would snow, doesn't mean that it will. Secretly, I still hoped for snow. I love the stuff.
We get Irene off to school and I decide to dutifully get the groceries earlier than planned, just in case. Keegan and Spencer help me at the store. By that, of course I mean that they are crazy at the store. Spencer tried to smash every bit of food he could reach in the cart, while Keegan continuously flops himself on the floor. I'm already thinking that "the guy" is wrong and I'm doing this with these two fools for nothing. Then my phone rings. It's the school...early dismissal at 1:00. Well, maybe it's better that I did get some food. We scurry off and I realize that I still do not have any gas, so I must stop. Gee, is it just me or is everyone in the surrounding area thinking that they should fill up before the snow? Great. Oh, and the snow has started.
Once we are all set on food and gas I realize that it's just after noon. We decide to just go get Irene now, since we're all in the car and then I won't disturb Spence's nap to go get her. Now, it's coming down pretty hard, but I feel guilty to pick Irene up early. I mean, the roads are fine. But I do it anyway. By the time we get to school and get her out and load back up in the van (not a small feat, mind you...carseats to buckle and groceries to climb over...it's been maybe 40 minutes.
Well, the roads are slick. We're slipping around a bit and I am so glad that I got her now and not an hour later. Even for me, a seasoned New Englander, I'm not loving being on the road right now. We get home safe and sound, don't worry. And then we start to look around. Wow. It's really coming down. It's just right on time. It's the right amount. It's beautiful. And the kids are bouncing around because there's so much, they are sure that there will be no school tomorrow. We'll have to wait and see.
Here's my front yard by the time we got home.
It's so pretty. There's something ethereal about the snow falling and how it's dark, but sort of light at the same time. And the silence. Snow can be so quiet. I tried to take some pictures, but I didn't want to go outside--it was too cold and I had groceries to put away and lunch to make. One of my favorite things about when it's snowing is looking right up at the brightness and seeing all the flakes falling from the heavens...it's amazing. Here's my attempt to capture it.
Not quite the same as being outside with the cold flakes falling on your face, but you can get an idea. And I wasn't kidding about not going back out there, either. See the window frame at the top, there? I'm what you call "an inside girl". I'm not sure Spencer liked the flakes on his face. He kept making weird faces and trying to cover his eyes. Hey, he's not even two, so I think it's o.k.
It just keeps snowing and snowing. So far, it hasn't stopped and there is a LOT of snow out there. I'll take some pics (outside) of the total accumulation tomorrow in the light. Poor Brian is still out there shovelling. I tried to get a pic of what's out there now:
I tried a second shot:
Weird. It's like it's getting blurry or something. What am I doing wrong with the camera? Third shot:
Oh, when I opened the back door the storm door started fogging up. Der.
In knitting news, Holli's sweater is done. Ah, what a relief to know that it will be all set for Christmas!
I also came across this today. It might be the biggest yarn stash in the world. Makes my bag of yarn look downright pathetic! Pretty cool to see, though. Take a peek.Since I stink at capturing the wonder of the snow, I will try to put up a video. I've never done this, so hopefully it works. But it you're still reading, I figure you deserve a better look. Stay warm!
Um, it didn't work. I'll see what I can do about getting it up tomorrow. (Muttering under breath about annoying uploading video runaround)


8 comments:
Ooo, ooo! I wish we had some of that white fluffy stuff here! Just rain. Lots and lots of rain. Mudslides and sinkholes rain. Yet, there is a lot of green to make up for it, so it's all good! Stay warm!
Cute sweater - I love the front pocket!
At least Irene's school had the sense to dismiss early! Our superintendant is a moron-he didn't do that. The elementary school buses were STILL running at 5:30-6:00pm! Ridiculous! Thank God Nic and Bella got home at "only" 4:00pm. I was passing by their school at 1:00pm, and I thought, "Maybe I should just get them out now....." I should have listened to my little voice!
Holli's sweater came out SO awesome-and the pocket looks great! ;-)
Oh Jill, I bet they LOVED the snow, I love the kiddos in snow! Hope you had no school today. It took me 3 1/2 hours to get home from work yesterday, and I left at 1:45! Shoveled the driveway and walk, and this morning it looks like I never touched it. Ah well. The beach is beautiful in the snow. At least it's Friday!
Can I click my heels together and be transported to your house?! You know how jealous I am of your snow! I loved the pictures. I need a snowy vacation.. soon. The news keeps talking about our really cold weather because the daytime highs are in the low 60's. I'm buying moon boots and heading your way..lol
I'm with you, Jill, I love the snow. It really is magical, isn't it? That sweater looks great, by the way.
Oh I wish we got snow. We got rain and Ice - lots of ice. We picked the kids up at 11 and boy I am glad we did since the roads were like ice rinks. Of course today everything melted and beside the sand being everywhere you would never know it snowed.
More coming this weekend - hopefully it will be snow and not rain.
The sweater look adorable!!
That's awesome. I completely know how you feel. This is my first winter in the midwest (from California) and I'm just in awe of the snow. I love the quiet too. And how it's darker in the daytime, but at night, when you're in the lighted area and the lights reflect off the snow, it's bright like daytime.
The sweater looks fantastic!
The only problem with that much snow... shoveling :(
I was out shoveling for 4 hours while Jill finished the sweater and blogged.
The sweater looks amazing in person. If I saw it in a store, I would buy it. Looks professional. Great Job Babe!!!!
Post a Comment