It's o.k. I do not hold this against you. These stories make us all feel better, and I am happy to tell you that I'm here to make you feel better. Oh, yes. It's happened again.
Brian's sweater has morphed from an EPS Raglan to a Boatneck.
Look at that!! (Don't you feel better? You know you do. That's what I'm here for...you're welcome.)
Poor Brian. This was supposed to be the final try-on. Then I was going to fix one underarm seam and weave in the ends, and that would be it. Finished. I clearly don't need to say that I had to frog back, but I will say it.
My question is, what did I do? Really. I have no idea. I followed EZ's directions. I honestly did. She said after the join (sleeves and body) to work 1-2 inches plain. I did...2 inches, in fact. Then I did the decreases as she said. Every other row, 8 sts. per row. Then when I had 8 sleeve stitches left on each side (usually it's 10, but with thicker yarn, she says 8) I did the neck shaping. All good.
But somehow, I have the right number of sleeve stitches left and a huge, wide neck opening, even with the ribbing. And the whole top section is just not long enough. It's like the neck of the sweater is stretched out because it's being pulled down too far. Which, of course, would be fine if Brian were some sort of ballerina. But he's not. I'm pretty sure he doesn't want a boat-neck-raglan. However, if you think there's a market for this kind of thing, I will write this pattern right up.
These are the sleeve stitches I have left. How am I to get more height?
I figured out that I have more stitches left than the 40% EZ recommends for a neck. I can continue decreasing every other row and get more height, but the sleeve stitches will definitely be used up. Perplexing dilemma.
So I did what every wise knitter does in this situation. I put the sweater in a solid timeout.
And I went to Webs. I mean, what else was I supposed to do?
Ah, now I feel better.
I picked up the Selbuvotter book that I've wanted since I fell in love with the Harlot's mittens. I introduced Krista (a Webs virgin) to a new
By the way, if anyone's thinking of doing the Circle Jacket, please speak up. I'd love someone to knitalong with! Oh, I am a sucker for a KAL.
Here I am "pretending to look at needles" when I involuntarily grabbed some yarn.
Turns out the yarn is over $50 a hank. Um, so I put it back. Sadly. Very soft.
Here's Krista with our bags of booty:
And me, checking out "one more thing" before we go...
The store was in a relative frenzy while we were there, because the author of Weekend Knits was there. Very exciting. Krista and I were a bit too busy to go and listen due to needing to check everything out and not really knowing who she was. In retrospect, I kind of wish we'd taken some time, as another lady we met there said the speaker was amazing. I can't remember her name, though. (The author, I mean--I don't know the lady's name.) I can tell you that we met her while using a ball winder and swift for the first time ever. I don't know if Webs has ever seen two people get more excited about winding yarn, let me tell you! Yeah, we might have made slight fools of ourselves, but that's kind of just us, you know? Well, it's kind of just me, anyway.
Pretty, right?
Needless to say, I felt much better after our trip. Plus, we made a girls' day of it and did dinner and the whole bit, which was tons of fun. Yesterday, I felt ready to face the sweater again. I frogged back the ribbing through the neck shaping. I do have a plan for the sweater, but I want to hear all of your suggestions before I tell you what I'm thinking. Somehow I have the feeling that you'll have better ideas than I do. What do you think I should do?


4 comments:
I'm not super familiar with EZ's percentage method, however, it appears that you have too much width on the front and back of the sweater, rather than too much depth in the shoulder/sleeve area. I would suggest leaving the sleve stitches as is, and doing the decreasing on the front and back panels to pull the collar into more of a roundish shape rather than the oblong of the boat neck...maybe? All in all I do have to say that it is a beautiful sweater, and looks as though it suits your hubby nicely! Good Job!!!
Bearing in mind that I have yet to knit such a sweater (the only one I have knit is this one: http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/w40.shtm)
it looks to me as if you need some short rows in the back. I am sure that somebody else will come up with some other suggestions, but that would bring the back neck up a little higher. I know that EZ has suggested it.
When all else fails, ask Meg. I hear she can be very helpful to e-mailers!
Ruth
Decreasing the front and back and leaving the sleeve stitches alone will change the angle of the raglan a bit but it will look fine. If you want to see what it would look like before you knit, make a sample front and sleeve out of graph paper- make your decreases and place the two pieces together. It won't be exact but it will give you a good idea of the angle you'll end up with.
I have absolutely no idea what to do about the neckline. Maybe Brian can start a fashion trend. I'm glad you got a little retail therapy in though! That always makes everything better :)
Post a Comment